“Dental disease is almost entirely preventable and oral health is just as important as the health of the rest of your body. Untreated dental disease can lead to serious health problems such as infection, damage to bone or nerve, and tooth loss. Infection from tooth disease can even spread to other parts of the body and in rare cases, can lead to death.”
Practicing Preventive Dentistry is the foundation of our commitment to treating you to the best standard of care. Our procedures and treatments are meant to prevent oral health problems :
• Compressive Oral Evaluation
• Deep Cleaning and Oral Hygiene
• Oral Cancer Screenings
• Low Radiation Digital X-rays
• Home Dental Care Education
• Night Guard to prevent clenching or grinding
Home Dental Care Education
Modern Dentistry is committed to educating you about the care and maintenance of your mouth, and being a loyal partner in your oral health care. Our health care professionals will show you the proper way to brush and floss, and we’ll discuss the warning signs of periodontal disease. You’ll leave each dental visit with clear, easy-to-follow instructions to enhance the care of your teeth and smile. And if you have a special medical condition, like diabetes, we can provide more specialized recommendations.
Comprehensive Oral Evaluation
We recommend a sensible oral hygiene regimen as the best way to preserve the health of your teeth and gums. In addition to daily brushing and flossing, this includes regular dental examinations and professional teeth cleanings. When you visit our dental office, you will receive a comprehensive oral evaluation of your mouth, which includes:
1. Gum Disease Evaluation- we check your gums and the bone around your teeth for any signs of periodontal disease
2. Tooth Decay Screening – we examine all your tooth surfaces for decay and recommend appropriate treatment
3. Oral Cancer – we examine your lips, tongue, throat, tissues and gums, and look for any signs of oral cancer
4. Digital X-Rays – We can detect tumors, cysts and bone loss, as well as tooth and root positions, using these low-radiation X-rays
5. Examination of Your Existing Restorations – We evaluate the current condition of your
existing fillings and crowns
6. Occlusion Analysis – We evaluate your bite for occlusion problems. An improper bite can impact the overall structure of your face and contribute to TMJ
7. Smile Analysis – We conduct a Smile Analysis to create the smile of your dreams
Complete, Gentle Ultrasonic Tooth Cleaning
Good oral hygiene is crucial in the prevention of a variety of dental and medical problems. Recent research has shown that the bacteria present in gum disease are also found in the plaques clogging arteries in people with heart disease. Therefore, a good professional cleaning is essential not only for the health of your teeth, but also for your general well-being. A cleaning includes:Tartar Removal – Calculus, or tartar, is hardened plaque that has firmly attached to the tooth surface above and below the gum line and must be removed by a dental hygienist.
1. Plaque Removal– Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on your teeth. It’s a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris and saliva. If not periodically removed, the bacteria produce toxins that infect and inflame the gums – the warning signs of periodontal disease.
2. Teeth polishing– this removes stains and further buildups of plaque that may not be removed during regular tooth brushing
3. Home Care Instructions– You’ll leave each dental visit with clear, easy-to-follow instructions to enhance the care of your teeth and smile. And if that’s not enough, you
receive a complimentary electric tooth brush!
Fluoride is a natural substance that helps strengthen teeth and prevent decay in patients of all ages. Fluoride is scientifically proven to help combat cavity growth and tooth decay by strengthening the tooth enamel. When normal exposure to daily fluoride from tooth paste does not prevent cavity growth or tooth decay, our oral health care professionals at Modern Dentistry can administer fluoride treatment during a routine checkup that has a stronger concentration of fluoride. This professional treatment is safe and very effective for improving the quality of your teeth.
Common reasons for Fluoride Treatment:
• Sensitive Tooth Root or Exposed Root Surface
• Irregular Flow of Saliva or Dry Mouth
• Infrequent Oral Hygiene
• Deep Fissures or Pits on Teeth Surface
• History of Tooth Decay
• No Daily Fluoride Exposure
• Frequent Carbohydrate and Sugar Consumption
• Existing Dental Restorations
Oral Cancer Detection and Screening
Oral Cancer is the sixth most common cancer in the nation, accounting for 40,000 new diagnosed cancers in the US each year. It is a devastating, even deadly, cancer that can go unnoticed until it has progressed to later stages. 25% of all oral cancer victims are non-smokers, non-drinkers and have no other lifestyle risk factors. As with any cancer, early detection and diagnosis is key. It is important for patients to see an oral healthcare professional regularly, particularly if they are in the high-risk groups: those who use tobacco, abuse alcohol, or have been exposed to HPV.
Our health care professionals at Modern Dentistry perform free oral cancer screenings and examinations during your routine checkups. Oral cancer often starts as a tiny, unnoticed white or red spot or sore in the mouth. It can affect any area of the oral cavity, including the lips, gum tissue, cheek lining, tongue and the hard or soft palate. Regular dental check-ups, including an examination of the entire mouth, can detect cancerous and pre-cancerous conditions.
Low Radiation Digital X-Rays
At Modern Dentistry, we’re focused on using the most advanced technology to provide the greatest benefits to our patients. One such advance is the use of Low-Radiation Digital X-rays, which produce consistently safer and better imaging. Here are some of the reasons this technique is superior to other X-ray technology:
Less Radiation – Our Digital X-ray units use at least 50% less radiation than conventional film X-rays.
Better Results – The Low-Radiation Digital X-Ray technology we use provides results as accurate as conventional X-rays while revealing images missed by film X-rays. The digital image also can be magnified 300 times its normal size to enhance diagnosis.
Faster X-rays – Low-Radiation Digital X-Ray images appear instantaneously on the computer monitor allowing us to immediately review your images and discuss treatment options with you.
Night Guards to Prevent Clenching or Grinding
People who grind or clench their teeth may wake up with a headache, earache or toothache. Their facial muscles may be sore and the jaw joints tender, resulting in jaw problems (TMJ).. Besides causing discomfort, grinding can eventually damage dental restorations and may loosen teeth. If you routinely grind or clench your teeth, a custom-fitted night guard can help. Custom-made in the dental office from soft material to fit your teeth, the night guard slips over the teeth in one jaw and prevents contact with the opposing teeth. This relieves the pressure of grinding and clenching.